Friday, October 5, 2007

Qiyaam al Layl

Assalamualaikum brothers,


InshaAllah you are all doing well.  Alhamdulillah, my family and I are doing alright.  Tomorrow is my last day on my psychiatry rotation.  On Monday, I start neurology inshaAllah.  I hope the following ahadeeth on Qiyaam al-Layl (the voluntary night prayer between Isha and Fajr) are helpful to you all.

The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "You should pray Qiyaam al-Layl, for it is the habit of the righteous people who came before you, and it will bring you closer to your Lord, expiate for bad deeds, prevent sin, and expel disease from the body." [At-Tirmidhee and Musnad Ahmad]

Abu Hurayrah (radhi allahu anhu) reported that Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "The best of prayer after those prescribed ( i.e. obligatory prayer) is that in the depth of night." [Saheeh Muslims] 

Abu Hurayrah (radhi allahu anhu) reported: "Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) encouraged the people, without making it an absolute command, to perform Qiyaam during Ramadan . He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) used to say: "Whoever stands (in Qiyaam) in Ramadan out of faith and expectation (of Allah's reward), all his previous sins will be forgiven." [Saheeh Muslim]


InshaAllah, we can try hard to make the most of these last 10 nights of Ramadan and please keep my family and me in your duas.

Take care,
Sameer

No comments: