Friday, March 7, 2008

Hard work

Salaams all,

Well I'm at the end of my second year already, I'll be done Inshallah
in one week (we end things quick here at UVA). Can't believe two
years of med school are almost over. After my finals I'll be coming
back to Baltimore to study for the boards, and I might actually spend
most of my time at the lower levels of good ol' Milton S. Eisenhower
Library...back where we all started haha. Other than that life goes
on as always...although nothing is really going on in my life other
than school right now. I know alot of us are in grad school or
working right now and I thought I'd find a hadith about working hard
and being self sufficient.

A man of the Ansar came to the Prophet (peace be upon him) and begged
from him. He (the Prophet) asked: Have you nothing in your house? He
replied: Yes, a piece of cloth, a part of which we wear and a part of
which we spread (on the ground), and a wooden bowl from which we drink
water. He said: Bring them to me. He then brought these articles to
him, and he (the Prophet) took them in his hands and asked: Who will
buy these? A man said: I shall offer to buy them for one dirham. He
said twice or thrice: Who will offer more than one dirham? Another man
said: I shall buy them for offered and bought them for two dirhams. He
gave the two dirhams to him and took the two dirhams and, giving them
to the owner Ansari, he and said: Buy food with one dirham for your
family, and buy an axe with the second dirham, and bring it to me. The
Ansar brought the axe to the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him), who
fixed a handle on it with his own hands and said: Go, gather firewood
and sell it, and do not let me see you for a fortnight. The man went
away, and gathered firewood and sold it. When he had earned ten
dirhams, he came to the prophet and told him that he had bought a
garment with some of them and food with his earnings the others. (Abu
Dawud, Hadith 1637)

Wasalaams,
Zain

No comments: