Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A new start

Salaams,

So I graduated from UVA a little more than a week ago, and inshallah
this summer I will be headed to Detroit for a research fellowship at
Henry Ford Hospital. It should be interesting since I've never been
to Detroit before, and I've heard great things about the Muslim
community there. Last week I happened to be in Baltimore during
Hopkins' graduation, and met up with some of the Jhuma alumni and
current members at the post-grad dinner at Oh's Place. It was really
awesome seeing everyone, and I'm looking forward to our next
Jhuma-brothers hangout!

I was at a talk the other day and the speaker was talking about
shariah, and I heard this hadith, which I'm sure most of you have
heard before:

"It is necessary upon a Muslim to listen to and obey the ruler, as
long as one is not ordered to carry out a sin. If he is commanded to
commit a sin, then there is no adherence and obedience." (Sahih
al-Bukhari)

I just thought it was a nice reminder during a time when many Muslims
around the world don't understand such a simple concept. By agreeing
to live within a land and taking what that land offers to you
(security, food, wealth, etc.), you agree to abide by it's rules and
laws, provided they do not go against the Quran and Sunnah. The
Prophet (SAW) did not mention that it had to be an Islamic state.
True believers keep their promises and do not break agreements, no
matter who they are made with.

--Zain

No comments: