Monday, December 1, 2008

Giving thanks

Salaams Bros,

Sorry I'm a bit late on my blog posting, I've been out of town with
family for break. I hope everyone had a good time getting together in
New York this past weekend, it's too bad I couldn't make it. Life is
the same as always, trying to survive through third year of medical
school and figure out what specialty of medicine I should pursue.
I've gotten some great advice from other JHUMA alumni on which
specialties they chose. It makes me very grateful to have connections
to so many people in various fields (in medicine and outside of
medicine) that are also young and Muslim. On that note, and since the
holiday of Thanksgiving just passed, I thought I would share some
Quranic verses on giving thanks to Allah (SWT):

O you who believe! Eat of the good things that We have provided for
you, and be grateful to Allah, if it is Him you worship. [Surah
Al-Baqarah, 172]

What can Allah gain by your punishment, if you are grateful and you
believe? Indeed, it is Allah who recognizes all good, and knows all
things. [Surah An-Nisa, 147]

We have enjoined on man kindness to his parents: In pain did his
mother bear him, and in pain did she give him birth. The carrying of
the (child) to his weaning is (a period of) thirty months. At length,
when he reaches the age of full strength and attains forty years, he
says, "O my Lord! Grant me that I may be grateful for Thy favor which
Thou has bestowed upon me, and upon both my parents, and that I may
work righteousness such as Thou may approve; and be gracious to me in
my issue. Truly have I turned to Thee and truly do I bow (to You) in
Islam." [Surah Al-Ahqaf, 15]

Wa-Salaams,
Zain

No comments: